Founded in 1968 Griffiths are one of the leading civil engineering and construction organisations working in Wales, the English border counties, and the West of England.
We pride ourselves in providing the “personal touch” establishing and maintaining mutually beneficial relationships at all levels within client organisations, throughout the supply chain and with stakeholders.
We are very proud of our history and what makes us the company we are today. We also have huge ambitions for the future and want to continue our growth and innovation to remain at the leading edge of our industry we offer a range of career development opportunities as a Business Unit of Tarmac PLC. We are looking for people who share this passion, enthusiasm, and collaborative approach to join our team. As part of a global business in CRH, the career opportunities are limitless.
We have a fantastic opportunity for a Commercial Manager to join our Infrastructure Team within the Portmadog region in North Wales.
We are seeking an inspiring, driven individual with a proven track record delivering complex and demanding construction projects, and, establishing, developing and maintaining complex working relationships. They will have the necessary experience of working with Senior staff to support the continuing growth of the business. This individual must be a proven leader with strong people skills to manage a busy and fast-paced working environment.
The Commercial Manager will be expected to travel as part of their role to construction sites, company fixed locations or other locations as required by the demands of this role. We are working hard to create a dynamic and inclusive environment and it’s important that our people come from a variety of backgrounds.
The Commercial Manager will report to the Commercial Director and have line management responsibility for the regional Commercial Team, taking the lead commercially for contracts within their business area.
The successful candidate will be tasked with the development and implementation of the commercial strategy and contributing to the continuous improvement of commercial processes. They will be expected to demonstrate leadership and people management skills, to deliver an efficient commercial and contractual management service to company projects.
The post holder must exhibit excellent interpersonal skills to engage, inspire and motivate people to drive the business forward and achieve our goals. They must have the ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with clients, sub-contractors, staff and all other stakeholders.
Candidates must be technically and commercially astute with the gravitas to develop industry leading delivery teams and will be a key contact for establishing and maintaining client, supplier and partner relationships. This role will require both vertical and horizontal collaboration providing clear and precise support and direction at all levels.
On a day to day basis, the successful Commercial Manager’s duties and responsibilities will include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Supporting the Commercial Team’s business strategy and business plans, working closely with the team to roll-out key initiatives and achieve the strategic goals.
- Aligning all functions within the Commercial Team to maximise efficiencies.
- Working closely with regional / project teams and senior management, to provide comprehensive commercial advice and guidance including identifying and implementing commercial recovery plans on underperforming projects.
- Developing, implementing, and maintaining sound commercial practices that are congruent with various construction contracts. Make robust evidence-based decisions, assessing risks and identifying opportunities.
- Abiding by all business compliance requirements in line with Company policies.
- Assume responsibility for all contractual issues that may arise including accountability for the resolution of contractual issues.
- Management of the contract review process that measures contract performance, work in progress, debt, etc.
- Striving for continuous improvement and efficiencies within the Commercial Team.
- Completing regular operational and budgetary reviews in your region and in partnership with the Operational Director and regional teams.
- Ensuring regular operational and budgetary reviews are carried out on all construction sites with the Commercial Team.
- Promote the Griffiths brand and actively seek out strategic partnerships and report on any prospective business leads.
- Develop and implement a divisional strategy for excellent Customer Service to attract, develop and retain our customer/client base.
- Supporting Operations Directors, Contracts Managers and others, providing advice and expertise on critical issues (site/people/management), whilst developing and maintaining strong working relationships with the clients/customers.
- Establishing, maintaining and fostering professional and positive relationships with clients, consultant teams and supply chain.
- Set a Commercial Team culture of continuous improvement through establishing and monitoring challenging targets which will drive performance improvements.
Understanding and recognising the employee voice in driving strategic and cultural change within Griffiths.
The Ideal Candidate
- Educated to degree level in Quantity Surveying, although other equivalent qualifications may be considered, provided they can demonstrate suitable commercial management experience.
- Chartered to a relevant body such as RICS or CICES, or working towards this. • Full driving licence.
- Senior level management experience and capability.
- Experience of ERP software packages such as COINS.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Proven track record of managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience dealing with multiple client and contracts.
- Experience managing and leading teams to achieve multiple objectives.
- Experience of planning, development and implementation.
- Sound understanding of construction law and common forms of construction contracts.
We offer an extensive range of career development opportunities and industry-leading rewards, incentives and benefits:
- Contributory pension scheme
- Access to the Tarmac Reward website with discounts on retailers, holidays, etc.
- Access to our Employee Assistance helpline for free and confidential advice
- Access to join our Employee Communities inc. BAME; LGBTQ+; Working Parents
- Training and development opportunities
Interested? Why not click here to find out more? Go on… are you ready to build your future?
Tarmac Trading Limited