Environmental Clerk of Works
Founded in 1968 Griffiths are one of the leading civil engineering and construction organisations working in Wales, the English border counties, and the West of England.
We pride ourselves in providing the “personal touch” establishing and maintaining mutually beneficial relationships at all levels within client organisations, throughout the supply chain and with stakeholders.
We are very proud of our history and what makes us the company we are today. We also have huge ambitions for the future and want to continue our growth and innovation to remain at the leading edge of our industry we offer a range of career development opportunities as a business unit of Tarmac PLC. We are looking for people who share this passion, enthusiasm, and collaborative approach to join our team. As part of a global business in CRH, the career opportunities are limitless.
We’re working hard to create a dynamic and inclusive environment and it’s important that our people come from a variety of different backgrounds. We offer a flexible approach and are open to flexible working options.
We are currently looking for an Environmental Clerk of Works (ECOW) to join our team in South Wales covering the A40: Llanddewi Velfrey to Redstone Cross improvements.
The position is full time offering the opportunity to develop, implement and support across the business a range of project and business sustainability strategies and winning future work.
As an Ecological Clerk of Works (ECoW) you will provide advice on ecological and environmental areas during the construction phases of the project. Typical issues include protected species, pollution, surface water management, material management, air quality and noise.
Reporting directly to Future Generations Team, within the SHEQ Department and working closely with the scheme project managers, your duties will include:
- Conducting ecological and habitat surveys, producing reports with recommendations for mitigation and site survey records.
- Providing continued site checks for notable and protected species prior to clearance and destructive searches.
- Monitoring sites and providing advice to the site construction teams regarding ecological constraints and mitigation solutions
- Ensuring compliance with relevant legislation, planning conditions and associated documents (e.g. Construction Environment Management Plan – CEMP) and to help reduce risks and delays
- Being a key point of contact for client and stakeholder relationship, working closely with staff and contractors from several disciplines, notably ecologists, hydrologists, planners and engineers, to provide an integrated ECoW service.
- Having a good understanding of wider of ECoW complex issues and the ability to liaise with other specialists and Griffiths regional Environmental Advisor to raise issues and provide solutions.
- Supervising contractors and ensuring compliance with protected species licence requirements and environmental protection measures
The Ideal Candidate
- Experienced as an Ecological Clerk of Works (ECow), particularly on large civil engineering projects
- Degree or Diploma in Ecology / Environmental discipline or other relevant qualification.
- Have experience of a wide range of ecological issues relating to de-vegetation works, including protected species surveys and mitigation
- Good knowledge and experience of environmental and sustainability managements systems, such as ISO 14001, ISO50001, ISO20400, BS8001
- Good cross business team working, with experience of influencing staff at all levels
- Manage own time to ensure that work is delivered on time and to the required standards.
- Experience in Microsoft office (word, excel PowerPoint)
- Excellent communications skills – written and verbal
- Full Member of CIEEM or equivalent
- Full UK driving licence
- Medically fit
- Desired: CSCS Card holder – training can be supplied if required.
- Desired: Ecological or Environmental Clerk of Work membership or accreditation.
We offer an extensive range of career development opportunities and industry-leading rewards, incentives and benefits:
- Contributory pension scheme
- Access to the Tarmac Reward website with discounts on retailers, holidays, etc.
- Access to our Employee Assistance helpline for free and confidential advice
- Access to join our Employee Communities inc. BAME; LGBTQ+; Working Parents
- Training and development opportunities
Interested? Why not click here to find out more? Go on… are you ready to build your future?
Tarmac is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive work environment for all employees and actively encourage applications from all sectors of the community.
Tarmac Trading Limited