Founded in 1968, Griffiths is one of the leading civil engineering and rail contractors working throughout Wales, the midlands and south-west England. With an annual turnover of circa £225m our 1000+ directly employed, well-trained, dedicated and highly competent workforce deliver client solutions which includes Welsh Government, Network Rail, Highways England, local authorities, Utility Companies and selected private sector organisations.
In 2018, Griffiths became part of Tarmac, the UK’s leading sustainable building materials business and a wholly owned subsidiary of CRH. Griffiths has over 1,000 employees operating across 100 sites or schemes at any given time.
We are very proud of our history and what makes us the company we are today. We also have huge ambitions for the future and want to continue our growth and innovation to remain at the leading edge of our industry We offer a range of career development opportunities as a Business Unit of Tarmac PLC. We are looking for people who share this passion, enthusiasm, and collaborative approach to join our team. As part of a global business in CRH, the career opportunities are limitless.
We are currently looking to recruit a Site Setting Out Engineer to join our growing Major Projects Team initially on Worcester Southern Link Road working on Infrastructure Projects of various sizes for several key clients across the public and private sectors.
We are working hard to create a dynamic and inclusive environment and it is important that our people come from a variety of different backgrounds.
The Setting Out Engineer will report to the Senior Engineer/Sub Agent and work with the Works Manager to ensure that dimensional control and QA processes are undertaken in a timely manner to meet the Project Programme.
The Site Engineer shall comply and implement the companies Integrated Management System procedures and guidance and promote its implementation with the Project Team.
The Engineer is expected to develop a proactive working relationship with Clients and Consultants and report any potential opportunities to the Project Director.
The Site Engineer shall:
- Setting out the works in line with the Construction Programme.
- Promote and lead the site safety culture. Ensure that all works are carried out in a planned, controlled, and safe manner, in accordance with statutory regulations, current standards, and the Company SHEQ standards.
- Record any Near Misses on the Near Miss Cards, completed cards to be provided to the Safety Manager.
- Review Site Operations with Section Agents to ensure that any works being undertaken outside of the Contract Requirements are raised as EWN/NCE including those verbally instructed by Employer or Others.
- Monitor delivery of the project, identifying risk and opportunities to optimise project delivery, reporting key risks/opportunities to the Section Agent.
- Ensure contemporary Record Keeping through the maintenance of a site diary.
- Ensure required Setting Out is undertaken in timely manner using the latest Design Information to enable operations to progress effectively and provide material quantity requirements to Works Manager/Section Agent to enable timely delivery of required materials.
- Review Inspection and Test Plans with the Section Agent and ensure the required inspections and testing is undertaken and documented in the relevant file in accordance with the Project Management Plan. Ensure Section Agent is notified one week prior where external testing is required.
- Provide Quality Co-Ordinator with the required QA documentation for collation and submission to the Employer.
- Continual updating of as-built drawings on site and maintain measurement records to be submitted to Section Agent on Weekly Basis. As-Built drawings to be marked by hand on a “clean” set of “First Issue Construction Drawings”.
- Review all relevant design information and raise Technical Queries where required on the AGCL Technical Query Form. TQs to be provided to Section Agent for review and onward submission. Ensure responses are monitored and inform Section Agent of non-response.
- Ensure all Survey/Testing Equipment has a current calibration certificate and maintain the Equipment Register for all Survey, Testing and Inspection equipment in their use using AGCL Equipment Register
- Ensure all works are undertaken in accordance with the RAMS and that Hold Points are adhered to and actioned accordingly. Any non-conformities to be reported immediately to the Section Agent.
- Ensure all Permits to Work (Excavation, Hot Works, Confined Spaces, Electrical Connections) are raised on relevant forms, issued, and filed with a copy of Permit issued to appropriate Ganger and briefed accordingly.
The Ideal Candidate
We are looking for a candidate who possesses:
- Strong leadership and motivational skills
- A passion for keeping people safe.
- Customer focus and the ability to build relationships.
- Good negotiation skills
- An ability to plan and organise works safely and efficiently.
- Excellent managerial and organisation ability
- A preference for teamworking and collaboration
- High level of Commercial acumen
- Strong communication and IT skills
- Attention to detail.
- The ability to prioritise and manage workload and is self-motivated.
- A good understanding of current methods and up to date knowledge of specifications and contract principles
- A working knowledge of NEC contracts and other common forms
- Preferably a further education qualification e.g., Degree or HND/HNC (in Civil Engineering or similar)
- CSCS qualification (desirable) & SMSTS Card
- Proven experience in Civil Engineering Contracting, preferably highway
- Planning Software & AutoCAD Trained
- Able to work site hours Mon – Fri 07.30 -17.30
- Able to work occasional nights and weekend shifts.
- Successful candidates will be given every opportunity to develop and progress their careers with a forward thinking and rapidly expanding business on future schemes within Major Projects.
We offer an extensive range of career development opportunities and industry-leading rewards, incentives and benefits:
- Contributory pension scheme
- Access to the Tarmac Reward website with discounts on retailers, holidays, etc.
- Access to our Employee Assistance helpline for free and confidential advice
- Access to join our Employee Communities inc. BAME; LGBTQ+; Working Parents
- Training and development opportunities
Interested? Why not click here to find out more? Go on… are you ready to build your future?
Tarmac Trading Limited