Founded in 1968, Griffiths is one of the leading civil engineering and rail contractors working throughout Wales, the midlands and south-west England. With an annual turnover of circa £225m our 1000+ directly employed, well-trained, dedicated and highly competent workforce deliver client solutions which includes Welsh Government, Network Rail, Highways England, local authorities, Utility Companies and selected private sector organisations.
In 2018, Griffiths became part of Tarmac, the UK’s leading sustainable building materials business and a wholly owned subsidiary of CRH. Griffiths has over 1,000 employees operating across 100 sites or schemes at any given time.
We are currently recruiting for an experienced Works Manager to join our team on the A391 North Devon Link Road Project located between Barnstaple and South Molton. This important and strategic scheme involves the widening of the existing carriageway into three-lane running while maintaining current traffic flow. Also, the construction of one RC Concrete over-bridge, two pedestrian bridges, two on-line roundabouts and extending existing underpasses and culverts.
The project is programmed for completion during December 2023.
In our effort to create a diverse and inclusive work environment, we welcome applicants from all ethnicity and background for these roles.
Reporting directly to the Site Agent you will be expected to understand and accept verbal and written instruction and be responsible for:
- Planning and organising labour and plant resource to undertake the works in line with the construction programme
- Planning and organising labour and plant resource to undertake the works safely and in accordance with company Health and Safety Policy and procedures
- Ensuring adherence to Method Statements, Risk Assessments and Permits
- Ensuring the timely ordering and delivery of plant and materials
- Supporting the site team in the effective planning and delivery of the works
- Managing and delegating duties to Foremen and Site Supervisors
- Undertake Tool-Box Talks and Daily Task Briefings
- Liaise with fellow members of the project team and client’s representatives on site
- Compiling and maintaining daily work record sheets and diaries
The Ideal Candidate
Successful candidates will have previous experience within the Civil Engineering industry on similar highway projects. Candidates would be expected to have experience and knowledge of the following disciplines:
- Earthworks and excavations
- Drainage and underground service diversions
- General carriageway construction and resurfacing
- Structural Concrete
- To possess a valid CSCS & SMSTS card
- To be eligible to work in the UK
- To work site hours (Generally 07.30 – 17.30 Monday to Friday)
- To work occasional night and weekend shifts
- To be motivated and enthusiastic
Successful candidates will be given every opportunity to develop and progress their careers with a forward thinking and rapidly expanding business on future schemes across the South West region
At Tarmac we are passionate that our workforce reflects the communities where we operate. Our ambition is that everyone regardless of level, role, or background will enjoy an environment of respect, inclusion and belonging. We actively remove barriers to ensure everyone is supported and can reach their potential with us. We take active steps to encourage people from a broad range of backgrounds to apply for jobs at Tarmac as we believe a diverse, inclusive company will enable everyone to thrive. We are a disability confident employer and will make reasonable adjustments as required. We are committed to support part-time and flexible working and believe getting the balance right is critical to personal and professional success.
Tarmac Trading Limited