M4 J33 Capacity Improvements
The works included reducing congestion and queuing around the southern perimeter of the junction through modifications to both the M4 westbound diverge and the A4232.
Location: M4 Junction 33, Cardiff
Completion Date: 2015
Contract: NEC Option D
It consisted of two distinct elements:
- The South East quadrant comprised the provision of a segregated left turn lane between the M4 Westbound diverge and the A4232 southbound.
- The circulatory carriageway comprised widening around the southern section of the gyratory, between the westbound diverge and the westbound merge connections.
The works involved:
- Innovative infilling of central reserve to allow full lane capacity during the works under Traffic Management arrangements
- Widen the gyratory on the Southern quadrant
- Associated changes to lane white lining / signage etc.
- Improvements to street lighting
- Relocate existing traffic signals, communications plant including CCTV mast
- Remove existing trees, street furniture etc
- Excavate for and construct wider embankment incorporating reinforced earth slopes
- Single lane diverge from existing slip road
- New dedicated slip road adjacent to gyratory
- Existing carriageway reconstruction for length of scheme
- New / upgraded drainage
- New road restraint system